Medical Insurance for Canadian Students
studying abroad or outside their province of residence
If you are a Canadian Student studying abroad (in the USA, Europe, UK, any other country) or Canadian Student studying in Canada but outside your principle province of residence, you should buy supplementary health insurance. IMPORTANT: Please see Eligibility .
Who can apply for Student medical insurance?
● You are a student enrolled in a school (recognized institution of learning) outside Canada (or outside province of residence); or
● You are an accompanying family member of the student studying outside of Canada (of province of residence); and
● You must be insured or eligible for benefits under the government health care plan of the province or territory in which you reside, for the entire trip duration.
Insurance Providers and Insurance Plans Available
Get information, policy wording, rates and buy medical travel insurance for Canadian students studying abroad or outside their principle province of residence from the insurance providers below. Choose the plan which is right for you.
* Compare benefits: Manulife Financial vs. TuGo
Why you need Student hospital and medical insurance
When you study outside of Canada or your province of residence, your provincial health care plan offers limited coverage for emergency medical care. Student medical insurance provides many important medical benefits that your provincial health plan lacks. This policy may be also purchased for accompanying family members of the student.
You must be insured or eligible for benefits under the government health care plan of the province or territory in which you reside, for the entire period of coverage.
If your provincial health insurance plan terminates because of your long absence from your province of residence, you can consider Canadian Expatriate Hospital& Medical Insurance after the expiry date of your provincial plan.
Other options for Canadian Students studying abroad.
You can consider Emergency
medical travel plans. These plans may be cheaper than
Student medical insurance.
However, they do not include some benefits, which usually Student medical insurance covers: tutorial services, maternity
benefit, psychiatric care, annual physician visit and eye
However, they do not include some benefits, which usually Student medical insurance covers: tutorial services, maternity benefit, psychiatric care, annual physician visit and eye examination.Please refer to the policy wordings for details.
» Multi-trip Emergency medical plans
If you usually spend
3-4 months in the country of study and come back home
for vacations, you can buy regular multi-trip emergency medical
You’ll be covered for 12 months and can travel for an unlimited
number of trips which start and end in your province of residence,
up to the trip duration you have chosen . .
.Choose from 95, 125, 155-day multi-trip plans
Youth Emergency medical plan (Travelance)
Youth Emergency Medical Non-USA and USA Plans provide coverage outside the insured’s province/territory of residence for emergency hospital & medical, emergency medical evacuation/return home, repatriation of remainsю Total amount of coverage is $1,000,000
Please refer to the policy wording for complete details of benefits, exclusions, limitations, terms and conditions.
Non-USA Plan: Travel must be to non-USA destinations.
USA Plan : Worldwide coverage including the USA.
Who is Eligible for Coverage?
All of the following restrictions apply:
• You are under 30 years of age.
• You must not have a Medical Condition for which a Physician has advised You against travel prior to Your Effective Date.
• You must not have been diagnosed with a Terminal Sickness prior to Your Effective Date.
• You must be insured under a valid Canadian federal, provincial or territorial government health insurance plan (GHIP) or Canadian university health insurance plan (UHIP). Otherwise the limit of coverage is $25,000.
• The Policy must be purchased prior to departure.
• The Covered Trip must not exceed 365 days.
• There is no coverage for Emergency Medical if You are travelling to the USA for more than 48 hours unless the required premium is paid for USA destinations.
• You must purchase the Policy for the full duration of Your Covered Trip.
• Emergency Medical Plan can only Top Up other coverage that allows Top Up.
Coverage for pre-existing medical conditions
With this Policy there is also no coverage and no benefits will be payable for claims resulting from: any Pre-Existing Condition or Medical Condition that was not Stable and Controlled during the 60 day period immediately prior to Your Departure Date or which, in the opinion of Your Physician, would be expected to require Treatment in the foreseeable future.
If you have questions or more information please call at 416-493-0101, 1-877-443-0101 or
Revised: January 22, 2016