Underwritten by LS Travel Insurance Company
What coverage will you have?
Emergency Medical Insurance (Single -Trip and Multi-Trip)
You can apply for this policy if you:
- Maintain Your permanent residence in Canada; and
- Are eligible for benefits under Your Provincial Government Health Insurance Plan; and
- Understand and speak either one of Canada’s official languages (English or French); and
- Meet all of the eligibility requirements outlined below; and
You are NOT eligible for coverage under this policy if :
1. You have or ever had:
• A Terminal Illness;
• A kidney disease requiring dialysis or a major organ transplant (heart, lung, liver, kidney or pancreas);
• Lung cancer, pancreatic cancer, liver cancer or if You have had intravenous chemotherapy within 3 months before Departure Date;
• A Medical Condition that has required home oxygen;
2. You require assistance with any activities of daily living (eating, dressing, personal hygiene) or require the use of a wheelchair or walker for Your mobility (please note that occasional use in airports or shopping centres is not considered);
3. Your Physician has recommended that You do not travel.
• Travelers aged more than 3 months on the Departure Date are eligible for the Single Trip Plan.
• Travelers aged between 3 months and 85 years on the Effective Date can apply for the Annual Plan (Multi-Trip).
Provides coverage for a single trip outside your province of residence or Canada. This plan can be purchased to top up your insurance with Tour+Med and with other insurance providers.
Annual Multi-Trip Plan
The Annual Plan provides coverage for multiple Trips outside Your province of residence for a duration not exceeding the maximal duration option chosen on the application during the 12-month Policy Period. Choose from 8, 15, 30 - day multi-trip annual plans.
Individual Trips must be separated by a return to Your province of residence. You are not required to provide advance notice of the departure and return date of each Trip; however, You will be required to provide proof of Your Departure Date when filing a claim (e.g. Airline ticket or customs /immigration stamp.
The Annual Plan also provides coverage for unlimited travel within Canada but outside Your province of residence. However, if You are traveling both in and out of Canada within the same Trip, this plan will provide coverage during the maximum duration option chosen, beginning on the day You leave Your province of residence.
You must meet the policy eligibility criteria in Your application on each Departure Date.
- Provides coverage in the event of a medical Emergency related to a positive diagnosis of COVID-19 while on your trip, even if a travel advisory to avoid all travel or avoid non-essential travel (due to the pandemic situation of COVID-19) is in force at the time of your medical Emergency.
- Prevents a forced return within 10 days (see Policy wording, exclusion 19f) if a travel advisory to avoid all travel or to avoid non-essential travel (due to the pandemic situation of COVID-19) is issued during your Policy Period.
- Additional Benefits: In the event that you receive a first positive diagnosis of COVID-19 during a trip and that you must legally proceed to an imposed quarantine at destination:
• After presentation of receipts, reimbursement of up to $50 per day of quarantine, subject to a maximum CAN $700 for perishable goods (groceries, restaurant orders) delivered during your quarantine at destination;
• After presentation of receipts, reimbursement of up to CAN $100 for the sum of your taxis to and from a COVID-19 testing centre;
• Access to a maximum of 2 virtual consultations with a physician (service only offered in the United States).
Eligibility for COVID - 19 Rider
• Be eligible in accordance with the specific questions of the Rider
• Pay the applicable premium for the Rider
Traditional Deductible: The full amount of the deductible applies on a per Event basis.
Hospital Deductible: The full amount of the deductible applies as soon as an Event involves Your Hospitalization, visit to the emergency room of a Hospital, visit to internal or external Hospital clinic. The deductible also applies to land or air ambulance transportation.
You could choose to add a deductible of $250, $500, $1,000, $2,500, $5,000 or $10,000 in order to save between 5% and 35% on your premium. All deductibles are in Canadian dollars.
Can insure parents and up to 4 children on the same policy, for a single trip or on an annual basis. This plan is available for trips of 48 days and less, anywhere around the world. To be eligible, parents must be 59 years old or less, and children must be between 3 months and 21 years old on departure date, unmarried, and dependent of their parent for support.
Non-departure (Full Refund):
a) On a Single Trip Plan, the request must be received prior to the policy Departure Date, otherwise it will be considered and administered as an early return request.
b) On an Annual Plan the request must be received before the Effective Date.
Early return (Partial Refund for the number of unused days):
a) No claim is either paid or pending.
b) No expense has been incurred by the Insurer for an Emergency return of the Insured Person and/or his/her Travel Companion to their province of residence.
c) The Insurer must receive the request for refund and supporting documentation (exhibiting the Insured Person’s name, the date and the location of the transaction*) within 30 days of returning to his/her province of residence.
*ex.: credit card statement, credit card receipt, written confirmation obtained at the border, plane ticket or boarding pass.
To extend the policy period, you must contact the insurer, or your representative, at least 5 days prior to the expiration date written on your policy. You will have to pay for the additional premium, if applicable. No extension request can be permitted after the expiration date of the initial policy.
Any condition for which you received treatments in the initial portion of your policy will automatically be excluded, beginning on the first day of your extension.
The Insurer reserves the right to grant or deny an extension of coverage, on a case-by-case basis.
Automatic Extensions to Coverage
At the time the period of coverage ends, coverage will be automatically extended at no additional premium :
• For up to 72 hours for a delay considered to be beyond the Insured Person's control (e.g. Accident, Vehicle breakdown).
• For the remaining period of your hospital confinement plus 72 hours commencing upon your release from the hospital.
Summary of Emergency Medical Benefits
The overall amount of benefits payable is subject to a maximum of CAN $5,000,000 per Policy Period.
Emergency Round Trip Benefit
This benefit does not apply to a Trip under an Annual Plan or Single Trip of less than 30 days.
This benefit will reimburse the unexpected and eligible costs incurred for air transportation for the following emergencies:
• Death or Hospitalization for a minimum period of 7 consecutive days, of a member of Your Immediate Family;
• Damages that result in Your principal residence becoming uninhabitable or Your place of business unusable.
Upon receipt of a claim form and supporting documentation, the Insurer will reimburse reasonable and customary expenses for one economy class plane ticket to the Insured Person’s province of residence, up to a maximum of CAN $1,500 per Insured Person during the Policy Period.
You are not eligible for this benefit:
• If, during the 6 months prior to Your Departure Date, the member of Your Immediate Family has been hospitalized or has been in a nursing home intended for patients with limitations requiring ongoing medical assistance (like a residential and long-term care centre (LTCH/CHSLD)) or has been diagnosed with a Terminal illness; or
• If, on the Departure Date, You were aware of circumstances which could force Your return at an earlier date than that anticipated at time of purchase.
Exclusions and Limitations. Travel medical insurance does not cover everything. This insurance has exclusions, conditions and limitations. Please learn them and understand the policy before you buy this insurance.
Pre-Existing Medical Condition Exclusion
Any conditions or Changes in Your health (except Minor Ailments) that have not been Stable and Controlled for:
- a period of three (3) months before the Departure Date for an Insured Person aged 3 months to 59 years, and
- for a period of six (6) months before the Departure Date for an Insured Person aged 60 and over,
unless specified otherwise in writing by the Insurer.
Exception: High blood pressure requires only 2 month stability before the Departure Date unless You suffer from cardiac (heart), vascular, respiratory (lung) or neurological conditions.
“Stable and Controlled” means any medical condition (other than a Minor Ailment) for which all the following statements are true:
1. There has not been a new diagnosis, any new Treatment prescribed or recommended, or Change(s) to existing Treatment (including a stoppage in Treatment), and;
2. There has not been any Change to any existing prescribed Medication (including an increase, decrease, or stoppage to prescribed dosage), or any recommendation or starting of a new prescription Medication
(Exceptions the routine adjustment of Coumadin, Warfarin or insulin and the change from a brand name Medication to a generic brand Medication of the same dosage); and
3. There has not been any new, more frequent or more severe Symptoms, and;
4. There has not been any Hospitalization or referral to a specialist, and
5. There has not been any medical exam, investigative testing or test results showing deterioration; and
6. There has not been any Treatment recommended, planned or not yet completed, nor any outstanding test results.
Reduced Stability Period Option (Optional Coverage, if available)
By paying an additional premium, You can choose to reduce the period of stability mentioned above from six (6) months to 30 days for a specific medical condition identified on your policy application.
Optional Exclusion Option (Optional Coverage, if available)
In exchange for a lower premium, You can choose the Optional Exclusion Option for any of the medical conditions mentioned in Your Personalized Medical Declaration.
Some Other Exclusions
This policy does not pay for expenses incurred directly or indirectly as a result of:
● Any medical service, procedure or Treatment not authorized by the EMERGENCY ASSISTANCE, or not considered to be an Emergency as defined in this policy and by the Medical Director of the EMERGENCY ASSISTANCE.
This includes but is not limited to blood tests (i.e., Coumadin), observation, exploratory and/or investigative tests or exams, experimental drugs, vaccines or preventive medicines, elective Treatments, cosmetic surgeries, MRI, check-ups, ear cleaning, cardiac catheterization, angioplasty, colonoscopy, endoscopy, biopsy, cystoscopy, surgery, and insertion, removal or adjustment of implants.
● Any Medical Condition or Symptoms for which it is reasonable to believe or expect that Treatments will be required during Your Trip.
● Any mental, psychiatric, psychological, psychotic or nervous disorder, including depression, anxiety and insomnia.
● The purchase or renewal of any Medication prescribed before the Departure Date, as well as any over-the-counter Medication.
● Any Accident, Injury or Sickness sustained during a Trip related to a remunerated activity or volunteer activity, or occupational duty if such activity or duty requires that You spend more than 14 days outside Canada in a year.
● The reason for which the Government of Canada (www.travel.gc.ca) issues a travel advisory to avoid all travel or to avoid all non-essential travel to a country, region or city, if the advisory is in effect on Your Departure Date. If the advisory is issued after Your Departure Date, We will grant You a 10-day period following issuance of the advisory to come back to Your province of residence, before the present exclusion becomes effective. It is Your responsibility to verify the status of Your destinations.
Please refer to the policy wording for full list of exclusions. If you need assistance, please Contact us.
NOTE: The product-related information is for illustration purpose only.
Please refer to the Policy Wording for details on the coverage provided, conditions, exclusion and claim procedure.
Revised: August 13, 2021