1-877-443-0101, 416-493-0101

 Registered Education Savings Plan

A Registered Education Savings Plan (RESP) is a special savings plan that can help you, your family or your friends save for children's education after high school. RESPs are registered with the Government of Canada so that savings for education can grow tax-free until the person named in the RESP enrolls in studies after high school.


A registered education savings plan (RESP) is a contract between an individual who is the subscriber, and an organization, who is the promoter. The subscriber makes contributions to the RESP, which earns income. The subscriber names one or more  beneficiaries and agrees to make contributions for them and the RESP promoter agrees to pay educational assistance payments (EAPs) to the beneficiaries.


Except for family plan, generally, there are no restrictions on who can be the original subscriber under an RESP: a parent, grandparent, other relative, or friend, can open an RESP for a child (beneficiary). You and your spouse or common-law partner can be joint subscribers under an RESP.


Benefits of your investment in an RESP

When you have an RESP, you can start saving immediately for education in the future. Many parents wonder how much to save. They also wonder how soon they should start. The answer is simple. Save as much as you can afford. Start today! Click here to find out how much you will need to pay for your child's education in the future.

Tax-sheltered savings: By starting early, tax-sheltered earnings on your savings can grow surprisingly quickly. The earlier you open RESP the longer your savings have time to grow.

The federal Government  Grants: If you are saving for a child’s education, the Government of Canada will provide you with additional funds that are only available if you have an RESP. Click the Canada Education Savings Grant and the Canada Learning Bond to find out how to get this money.


Type of Plans - Choosing the Right RESP For You 

You can choose from three general types of plans: individual plans, family plans, or group plans.

Individual RESP

Anyone can open an individual RESP and anyone can contribute to it. This includes parents, grandparents, aunts, uncles and friends. You can even contribute to an individual plan for yourself. Contributions to this type of plan can be made up to December 31 of the 31st year after the plan's creation date (ex.: for a plan created in 2008, contributions may be made until December 31, 2039).

Please Click here to get information about the individual RESP plan you can open with us.

Family RESP

These plans can have one or more beneficiaries. However, each beneficiary must be connected by blood or adoption to each living contributor, and be under 21 when named. This includes child, grandchild, brother and sister but excludes nephew, niece, subscriber's spouse and the subscriber. Contributions to this plan can only be made until a beneficiary turns 31. Please Click here to get information about the family RESP plan you can open with us.

Group RESP

A group RESP pools the contributions of many investors. Contributions are made according to a schedule and are used to buy plan units. The amount and frequency of these contributions stay the same as long as the beneficiary has not attained 18 years of age. The date the plan matures is set at the time of enrolment and is based on the child’s birth date. At maturity, your child shares in the pooled earnings of investors with children the same age as yours. If the beneficiary fails to qualify for payment, the earnings are distributed among other beneficiaries of the same age who do qualify. And if you drop out of the plan before it matures, you forfeit all of your earnings to the group.


Call us at 416-493-0101 or 1-877-443-0101 and we will help you decide on the type of RESP that best meets your needs.


How much money can I save in RESP?

RESP promoters may invest  your money in different investment vehicles and your investment income may may be different with different RESP providers. Contact us to get your individual quote showing how much you can save if you invest in RESP with us.


What do I need to open an RESP?

You need to get a birth certificate for your child from the provincial or territorial government where your child was born. You will also need your own Social Insurance Number (SIN) from the Government of Canada and a SIN for the child you are saving for. There is no cost or age limit to get a SIN. Even a baby can get one.


How much money can I put into an RESP?

Starting in 2007, there is no annual limit for contributions to RESPs . For each beneficiary, the lifetime limit on the amounts that can be contributed to RESPs is $50,000.

Minimum contribution is not limited but determined by a RESP promoter.


Note: According to the Income Tax Act, period of time when you can make your contributions in RESP is limited, and the RESP must be terminated by the end of the 35th year after the year the plan was opened.


How soon can the person(s) named in the plan start using the money?

The promoter will pay Educational Assistance Payments (EAPs) to or for a student if one of the following situations applies:

  • the student is enrolled in a qualifying educational program at a post-secondary educational institution. This includes students attending a post secondary educational institution and those enrolled in distance education courses, such as correspondence courses, provided by such institutions; or

  • the student has attained the age of 16 years and is enrolled in a specified educational program at a post-secondary educational institution.

A post-secondary educational institution includes:

●   a university, college, or other designated educational institution in Canada;

●   an educational institution in Canada certified by Human Resources and Skills Development Canada (HRSDC) as offering non-credit courses that develop or improve skills in an occupation; and

●   a university, college, or other educational institution outside Canada that has courses at the post-secondary school level, as long as the student is enrolled in a course that lasts at least 13 consecutive weeks.


What is a qualifying educational program?

A qualifying educational program is an educational program at post-secondary school level, that lasts at least three consecutive weeks, and that requires a student to spend no less than 10 hours per week on courses or work in the program.


What is a specified educational program?

A specified educational program is a program at post-secondary school level that lasts at least three consecutive weeks, and that requires a student to spend not less than 12 hours per month on courses in the program.

Commencing in 2007, students 16 years of age or older will be able to receive up to $2,500 of EAP for each 13-week semester of part-time study in a program that requires that at least 12 hours per month be spent on courses.


What is an Educational Assistance Payment?

An Educational Assistance Payment (EAP) is a payment from an RESP to help a beneficiary continue his or her education after high school. An EAP is made up of:

Note: EAP also includes amounts paid under a designated provincial program (Alberta, Quebec)


Do I pay tax when I take money out of an RESP?

Your contributions: You will not pay taxes on the money you have contributed in the RESP. You will get your invested money back without paying tax.

Educational Assistance Payments: EAPs will be taxed in the hands of your child, but only when the RESP is closed or money is taken out to pay for the education of your child. The promoter reports EAPs in box 042 on a T4A slip and sends a copy to the student. The student includes the EAPs as income on his or her return for the year the student receives them. Since many students have little or no other income, they can usually withdraw the money tax free.


When Your Beneficiary Does Not Continue Education After High School

If a child decides not to continue education after high school, you may be able to:

  • Wait for a period of time, he or she may decide to continue studying later;

  • Use the money for a brother or sister who does continue education after high school;

  • Transfer the investment  earnings  into a Registered Retirement Savings Plan (RRSP) to help you save for your retirement. (Your contributions in RESP will be returned to you tax free and the government grants will repaid to the Government).

  • Withdraw the investment earnings and pay tax on this amount.  (Your contributions in RESP will be returned to you tax free and the government grants will be repaid to the Government)


For more information, consultation and to get your personal RESP illustration, please call at

 416-493-0101, 1-877-443-0101  or Ask Your Question Online




Registered Education Savings Plan

RESP: An affordable savings vehicle that can help parents to save money for their children’s post secondary education. Take advantage of :

Canada Education Savings Grant

Canada Learning Bond



Registered Retirement Savings Plan

RRSP: Your retirement program

Money invested in RRSP is tax deductible and can help you to purchase your first home or pay for your education.

Home Buyer‘s Plan

Lifelong Learning Plan

Spousal RRSP



Segregated Funds

Segregated funds: A wide choice of professionally managed invest-ment funds with the security of maturity and death guarantees as well as other benefits.

Segregated Fund Guarantees


Insurance:   Life insurance  |  Critical Illness Insurance  | Mortgage Protection Plan  |  Group Benefits | Disability Insurance

 Visitors to Canada Insurance | Travel Insurance for Canadians | Health & Dental Plans

Revised: March 11, 2021.