TuGo Traveller Travel Insurance
(underwritten Industrial Alliance Insurance and Financial Services Inc. and Industrial Alliance Pacific General Insurance Corporation)
Travel in Canada (outside of home province) - Youll be covered by your provincial healthcare plan for COVID-19 and other medical emergencies. Within Canada Emergency Medical Insurance, you will be covered for the other costs that can be incurred over and above what your provincial healthcare plan pays for (e.g. an ambulance ride).
Emergency Medical Insurance Worldwide or Excluding USA policy will cover you for COVID-19 medical and related expenses, if youve followed your provincial/territorial Health Authoritys protocols and:
Youve been partially vaccinated with a Health Canada approved dose at least 14 days before your departure date.
If available to you, youve received or scheduled any subsequent vaccine doses before your departure.
Youll also be covered if you arent eligible for a vaccine due to your age.
If you havent received a vaccine for other reasons, you can still get coverage if you add the COVID-19 Insurance for Unvaccinated Travellers to your Emergency Medical plan. This plan can be used to add coronavirus coverage to your travel medical insurance policy with TuGo. For single trips only.
What coverage will you have?
Emergency Medical Insurance(Single -Trip and Multi-Trip)
You are eligible for coverage if:
4. You are not receiving palliative care or palliative care has not been recommended.
No age limit. Applicants 60 years old and over have to complete the Medical questionnaire to determine rate category for the Worldwide and Worldwide excluding USA plans. For the plan in Canada, no medical questionnaire is required.
Provides coverage for a single trip:
● Worldwide excluding USA,
For Worldwide excluding USA policies, coverage is limited to travel outside the USA except for:
- Flight stopovers or flight layovers in the USA up to 48 hours; or,
- Transit through the USA by car, van, truck, recreational vehicle, motorcycle, bus or train for up to five days to your travel destination and up to 5 days to return from your travel destination.
● in Canada only, outside of home province
If you are travelling by cruise ship and the cruise departs from or stops at any ports in the USA, you must purchase a Worldwide plan for the full duration of your trip.
One temporary visit to your home province is permitted during your period of coverage provided the temporary visit is unexpected and beyond your control.
Annual plans: Worldwide and in Canada only. Choose from 2, 5, 10, 15, 20, 35, 60 days per trip .
For the plan within Canada, you will be covered for 12 months and can take an unlimited number of trips, which start and end in your province of residence, up to the trip duration you have chosen.
For the Worldwide plan, when travel is within Canada but outside your province of residence, coverage is automatically provided beyond the maximum number of days selected at the time of purchase but limited to the expiry date of the Policy.
When travel is outside Canada, coverage is limited to the maximum number of days selected. The trip duration begins on the date you leave Canada and terminates when you return to Canada.
Clients 58 years and under are eligible for the automatic renewal option.
Top-up (applicable to Multi-trip and Single-trip plans)
This insurance can be purchased as a Top-up to another emergency medical insurance plan.
When symptoms or treatment for an emergency medical condition begin before the effective date of this top-up Policy and while you are covered by the insurance plan being topped-up, the insurer will pay eligible expenses incurred on or after the date this top-up Policy takes effect as if the emergency medical condition began under this top-up Policy.
Coverage for emergency medical conditions which began before the effective date of this top-up Policy is only provided if there is no lapse between the insurance plan being topped-up and this top-up Policy
Automatic $300 USD deductible; other deductible options of $500, $1,000, $2,000, $5,000, $10,000, $25,000, $50,000, $100,000 are available for premium discount. For $0 deductible, 15% surcharge applies. For the Canada plan, all deductibles are in Canadian dollars.
Family & Friends Plan
Coverage is available for up to two individuals 59 years and under and up to six dependent children. The individual(s) named in the Family & Friends plan do not have to be the parent(s) or guardian(s) of the dependent children. Includes children up to age 21 or 25 if attending full time school or physically/mentally handicapped.
Sport & Activities Coverage
Optional coverage for travelers who participate in, coach, teach, train or practice different sports: Freestyle Skiing, Downhill mountain biking, Motorized speed contests, Parachuting, Rock climbing, Boxing, etc. Please Click here for more information.
Refunds are not available if a claim has been or will be submitted.
Applicable to Multi Trip Annual and Single Trip:
- When the request for refund is received PRIOR to the effective date of the Policy, a full refund is available.
- When no travel has taken place and the request for refund is received AFTER the effective date of the Policy:
a) A full refund is available within 10 days of the application date; or,
b) A refund less an administration fee is available when the request for refund is received more than 10 days of the application date.
Applicable to Single Trip Only: In the case of early return to your home province, partial refunds may be available. All partial refunds will be subject to an administration fee.
If you decide to stay longer, you can extend your period of coverage before your Policy expires,if you have not submitted a claim and have no intent to submit a claim.
Automatic Extensions to Coverage
At the time the period of coverage ends, coverage will be automatically extended at no additional premium :
For 7 days in the event your common carrier is delayed.
For the remaining period of your hospital confinement plus 7 days after release from the hospital; or,
For 7 days if you are unable to travel on your scheduled return date but you are not hospitalized.
Emergency Medical Benefits for Canadian Travelers
Exclusions and Limitations. Travel medical insurance does not cover everything. This insurance has exclusions, conditions and limitations. Please learn them and understand the policy before you buy this insurance.
Pre-Existing Medical Condition Exclusion (for Emergency medical coverage, Worldwide and Worldwide excluding USA Plans): The company will not be liable to provide coverage or services, or to pay claims for expenses incurred directly or indirectly as a result of any pre-existing condition as defined, except as follows:
● Applicable to persons 59 years and under (on the application date)
a) On trips 35 days or less, except for conditions and/or symptoms (other than a minor ailment)
i. That arose or worsened on the date of departure or at any time within the 7 days before the date of departure; or,
ii. For which medical treatment was obtained on the date of departure or at any time within the 7 days before the date of departure; or,
iii. That developed before departure and was undiagnosed at the time of departure.
b) On trips over 35 days, any condition which has remained stable in the 90 days prior to the date of departure.
● Applicable to persons 60 to 74 years (on the application date)
On all trip lengths, pre-existing condition has remained stable in the 180 days prior to the date of departure.
● Applicable to persons 75 years and over (on the application date)
On all trip lengths, pre-existing condition has remained stable in the 365 days prior to the date of departure .
Please click on Pre-existing Medical Condition for more information.
Some other Exclusions
This policy does not pay for expenses incurred directly or indirectly as a result of:
- Conditions or any related conditions for which, prior to departure, testing or investigative consultation took place, was scheduled to take place or was recommended (not including routine check-up or routine monitoring for a medical condition), and for which results had not yet been received at the time of departure. This includes tests that were recommended or scheduled prior to departure, but had not yet taken place at the time of departure.
- Any cancer (other than basal cell or squamous cell skin cancer) for which you received or were recommended to receive cancer treatment in the 3 months prior to the date you leave for your trip. This includes cancer treatment that you were recommended to receive but chose to decline.
- Any condition(s) for which you are registered on a waiting list in Canada for treatment or diagnosis.
- Ongoing care, rehabilitation or check-ups.
Please refer to the policy wording for full list of exclusions .
Non-Medical Package (Single Trip) includes the following benefits:
1) Trip Cancellation/Trip Interruption Insurance:
prior to departure Up to the limit of Insurance purchased (Max
amount of coverage is $100,000)
2) Accidental Death and Dismemberment Insurance
3) Baggage Insurance : Sum insured $500
You can buy this package separately or all together with Emergency Medical Insurance.
Inclusive Holiday Package is available for persons under
59 years and includes the following benefits:
2) Trip Cancellation/Trip Interruption Insurance
3) Accidental Death and Dismemberment Insurance
4) Baggage Insurance: Sum insured $500
NOTE: The product-related information is for illustration purpose only. Please refer to the Policy Wording
for details on the coverage provided, conditions, exclusion and claim procedure.
Emergency Medical Claims Examples
Revised: August 19, 2021